The koi fish is known for its good luck and beauty. During the early 1900’s the koi fish crazy swept the nation of Japan and subsequently the rest of the world. And apparently at Stampin’ Up, too! This beautiful koi fish card tutorial is the focus of today’s blog.
One Japanese or Chinese legend tells the story of a koi climbing a waterfall on the Yellow River toward the Dragon’s Gate at the top of the falls. Carp would try to swim through the water, but few would be brave enough to make the final stretch up the waterfall. If a carp was able to finish the journey through the Dragon’s Gate, it would be transformed into a powerful dragon. The koi has become a figure for perseverance and bravery through this story. I’m sure that legend had lots to do with the greeting on this koi fish card.
I’ve included written instructions below for today’s card tutorial along with an option for the free PDF tutorial download. Whether you choose to copy, print or save this tutorial, I’m certain the layout and/or the colors will inspire you.
Don’t forget to check out my PDF Tutorial Library for more project tutorials that feature complete card collections and fancy folds. Click HERE to view the library. All the supplies can be purchased in my online store.
Koi Fish Card
All images © 1990-2018 Stampin’ Up!®
Supplies for Koi Fish Card:
- Stamps: All the Good Things (wood 146555, clear 146558)
- Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black (132708), Mango Melody (147093), Poppy Parade (147050)
- Paper: Basic Black (121045), Whisper White (100730), Poppy Parade (119793), Mango Melody (146989)
- Other: Sponge Daubers (133773), Seaside Textured Impressions Embossing Folder (141481), Big Shot (143263), Stampin’ Dimensionals (104430)
Measurements for Koi Fish Card:
- Poppy Parade (base): 5 ½” x 8 ½”, folded in half
- Mango Melody: 4” x 5 ¼”
- Basic Black: 3 ½” x 3 ¾”
- Whisper White: 3 3/8” x 3 5/8”
- Stamp the small fish repeatedly and randomly on the Mango Melody cardstock. Emboss the cardstock using the Seaside Embossing Folder. Adhere the cardstock to the card base.
- Ink the large fish using Mango Melody ink. Using a Sponge Dauber, add Poppy Parade ink randomly onto the inked image. Using a separate Sponge Dauber, add Memento ink to the greeting portion of the stamp. Huff on the stamp to remoisten the ink. Stamp on the Whisper White cardstock so the greeting is in the center.
- Ink the small fish using Mango Melody ink. Using a Sponge Dauber, add Poppy Parade ink randomly onto the inked image. Huff on the stamp to remoisten the ink. Stamp the fish to the left side of the greeting as shown.
- Adhere the Whisper White layer to the Basic Black cardstock. Adhere these layers to the card base using Dimensionals.
Customer Appreciation Gift
- Place an order through my online store HERE between July 20, 2018 through July 27, 2018
- Visit my tutorial library HERE and choose a tutorial you would like. There are 40+ to choose from!
- Once you receive your online order confirmation from Stampin’ Up!, email me HERE and tell me which tutorial you would like.